Has your car failed you this morning? Well worry not! Here’s our quick fix guide on how to get you moving, the only part you’ll have to come up with is why you’re late…
Now, lets not beat around the bush, you’ll need a couple of things to get you going again, so try and kill two birds with one stone and find someone with A: a car, and B: jump-leads/powerpack.
With care, follow the instructions below:
- Put your car in neutral and ensure the other vehicle is parked alongside you, also in neutral. Both cars should be close but not touching.
- With both bonnets open, check the jump leads can reach from the working battery to the flat battery without pulling or straining.
- Connect the first end of the RED positive lead to the positive terminal on the working battery. Do the same for the other end of the lead for the flat battery.
- Connect the BLACK negative lead to the negative terminal on the working battery. Attach the other end to a metal (earthing) point, such as a bolt or bracket, away from the dead battery. Some cars have negative jump-starting poles – check your handbook to see if yours does.
- Check the leads are away from moving parts, then start the engine of the working car.
- After about a minute, try starting the car with the dead battery. If it doesn’t work, leave it a little longer, but switch off the engine if the leads get hot.
- Once you have your car running, leave the engine on for a couple of minutes to charge the battery.
- Switch off both engines, then remove the jump leads in reverse to the way you attached them. Make sure they don’t touch together or any metal surfaces. You should then drive for at least 30 minutes or leave the engine running.
- If you’re worried about your battery in future, at Halfords we offer a free check-up, cheap fitting service and a massive range of affordable batteries!
If any of the following apply once you’re on the move, head to your nearest Halfords quick-sharp! We’ll need to have a cheeky check under the bonnet, just to make sure you’re safe for the road.
- If you think your battery isn’t looking very well; if it’s damaged, leaking or corroded
- If your car is making a strange noise once you’ve jump started
- If your car is smoking or filled with a strange smell
Remember, WeFit car batteries from £15, so pop in and see us for a friendly, fitting service, and keep those boot essentials handy for next time!