Whether you can’t wait for some alone time scrubbing up, or it’s ‘just another weekend job’, cleaning your car needn’t leave you soaked in suds and still looking dull. The experts at Autoglym know how it’s done, and we caught up with them to shine a light on getting your four wheels summer road trip ready!
Let’s get down to business…
- Although it might seem like the perfect opportunity to wash your car when the sun is shining, make sure it isn’t too hot to touch. If the bodywork is hot the shampoo can dry out on the car.
- Don’t forget to hose down your car for a final time when you’ve done all your soaping and rinsing, this will budge those last little bits of dirt and dust that gather in those hidden spots.
- Start from the roof and work down! You don’t want to start with the wheels and then end up washing them again when the water from the top of your car has run down.
- Take one section at a time, this will give each area of the body the TLC it really needs and then one final hose down at the end should do the trick!
- DO wash off any soap or suds before they settle on the car, especially on a hot day. The soap will dry quickly and getting it off can be a bit of a bore once it’s dried onto your car.
- There’s nothing wrong with grabbing the old faithful’s of a bucket and sponge to get the job done, but a hose or pressure washer is a much more efficient way to clean your car. Whilst saving you time, this also stops dirt being transferred back into your bucket and then back onto your car!
- Let the contours of your car guide you on which way to wash. Try not to wash in circles and avoid those cobweb-like scratches!
For ‘just getting the job done’…
Autoglym’s Pure Shampoo is a high foaming, pH neutral, ‘pure’ shampoo that cleans the car extremely well, but doesn’t do anything else. It leaves no film behind, nor does it have any other additives. It just cleans. It is wax safe.
For a little bit of TLC…
Autoglym’s Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner is a low foaming, pH neutral shampoo that adds a water-repellent film to surfaces to enable quick rinsing and drying. This film also acts as a gloss enhancer to visually refresh surfaces. It is wax safe.
For the full works…
Ultra High Definition Shampoo is our flagship shampoo. It is a high foaming, pH neutral shampoo with a high degree of lubricity to enable wash mitts to glide over exterior surfaces effortlessly.
The pièce de résistance if you will; your wheels aren’t just essential to using your car, they’re arguably the most important areas to look after when it comes to detailing. Luckily, the experts at Autoglym really know their stuff when it comes to getting them in show-stopping condition.
- As with the body of your car, give it time to cool down before getting down to busienss with the wheels. We recommend that you do not apply wheel cleaners while the wheels are hot.
- …assume that once your wheels look clean then the job’s done, Autoglym recommends adding a Tyre Dressing to completely transform the sidewalls of your tyres.
- Don’t forget to protect your wheels once you’ve finished cleaning them, it would be a shame for all that hard work to go to waste! But remember to leave on your wheel protector for several hours before hitting the road again.
- Start with a good rinse from the hose to remove those fresh bits of mud and grime.
- Use Autoglym’s Clean Wheels to shift those stubborn baked-on deposits! Made to be tough on grime yet kind on the alloy itself, Clean Wheels is safe to use on lacquered alloys, painted and plastic wheel trims.
Spray an even, generous coating of your product of choice onto one wheel at a time, working from the bottom of the wheel upwards and taking care to fully coat the surface. Allow a few moments for the product to go to work, then use a non-marking, metal free brush or mitt to agitate the cleaner, concentrating on any dirt trap areas and the tyre wall. Finish by rinsing off any remaining product, then move onto the next wheel.
- Move on to tackling tar. No matter how careful you are while driving, at some point your wheels will come into contact with tar, a contaminant that will show up as a collection of small, black spots once you’ve finished giving your wheels an initial clean. As you might expect, tar is sticky and tough to remove without a specialist product, hence why Autoglym has developed Intensive Tar Remover.
Intensive Tar Remover is a safe, fast acting product that gets to work on stubborn flecks of tar, glue residue, pen marks and stains from petrochemicals, all of which can well and truly spoil the overall look of your freshly cleaned car.
- Use Instant Tyre Dressing to completely transform the sidewalls of your tyres.
The application is a doddle: simply ensure that the sidewalls are free from dirt and other detritus so that the dressing has maximum contact with the rubber, then apply a generous layer along the length of the sidewall.
- Wax on! Use Autoglym’s HD Wax on dark grey or black wheels, or those with a chrome finish instead of Wheel Protector.
Check back soon for a little more detail on how to go the extra mile with your car cleaning regime. And there’ll be a section on getting those interiors looking tip top too!